Duluth is a four-season city — as breathtaking in winter white as it is in summer green. Come at a different time of year, and you’ll find an entirely new place to explore. The quiet of our forests and the splendor of the Lake Superior shoreline mesh into a getaway experience that will both relax and rejuvenate you, any time of year.
While you are here, be sure to spend some time visiting Lake Superior, the world’s largest lake. It’s part of everything we do here in Duluth, Minnesota, and it’s one of the most compelling reasons to visit
Here’s a little trivia about our city by the lake.
- Originally settled by Sioux (Dakota) and Chippewa (Ojibwa).
- Claimed for France in 1679 by Daniel Greysolon, Sieur du Lhut.
- Once home to more millionaires (per capita) than any other city in the world.
- Population: 87,000; within 30-mile radius, population is 184,134.
- Located at the westernmost tip of Lake Superior, halfway between Minneapolis/St. Paul and the Canadian border.
- 2,342 freshwater miles from the Atlantic Ocean to Duluth via the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence Seaway.
- Area: 43,067 acres.
- Altitude: Ranges from 605 feet (at Lake Superior’s shoreline) to 1,485 feet above sea level.
- Terrain: City is built into a steep, rocky cliffside; almost mountainous for the Midwest.
- Rated by Money magazine as one of the top four Midwestern small cities, based on livability.
- Industries include tourism, healthcare, financial/banking, mining, paper, communications, education and shipping.
- City’s harbor welcomes over 1,000 ocean-going and Great Lakes freighters annually.
- Seaway Port Authority of Duluth provides foreign trade zone and economic development services.
- Interlake cargoes of iron, grain, coal and stone combine to make this the top volume port on the Great Lakes with a total of $250 million in annual economic impact.
- Home to the College of St. Scholastica, the University of Minnesota Duluth, Lake Superior Community College, Fond du Lac Community College and across the bay, the University of Wisconsin-Superior.
- Regional medical center for surrounding states and provinces.
- Physician population of over 400; one of every seven residents is employed in healthcare.
- Rated first in the United States for quality healthcare in communities of its size.
- Annual precipitation: 30.0 inches.
- Annual snowfall: 77.6 inches.
- Average January low temp.: -2.2°F.
- Average July high temp.: 77.1°F.
- 3.5 million tourist visitors per year accounting for a $780 million economic impact.
- 4,600 hotel rooms in the city.
- Over 50 restaurants in the downtown area.
- Extensive, climate-controlled skywalk connects downtown facilities.
- 129 municipal parks, sculpture gardens and rose gardens.
- "State of the Air 2002" report places Duluth among the top 10 metropolitan areas in the United States with the least smog pollution according to data released by the American Lung Association from EPA Air Quality Index research.
We at Metropolitan Financial Mortgage Company are ecstatic to provide mortgage solutions for the Duluth, MN area. We are one of the few in the state who offer the FHA 203k, Homepath renovation loan and the Homestyle rehab loans. We are renovation loan experts.
Contact us today.